Thursday, November 23, 2017

Lots of VIC-II fixes

So the current build has some improvements in the VIC-II emulation core.  Notably:


  • Smooth pixel scrolling in the x & y directions
  • 24 line mode
  • 38 column mode
  • Double width and double height sprites
  • 800x600 resolution via multiboot
  • VIC-II border
  • Extended background color mode

These fixes have also been passed along to the original author on his repo (https://github.com/marioballano/emudore).  Great guy and I really appreciate his work and support.

Here's a double height/width sprite, and a split screen raster test:




I havent yet done many tests on multicolor or bitmap modes... bouncing around from thing to thing.  I have so many test programs right now though, that I need to get back to the DOS commands (making/changing subdirectories, deleting files, renaming, etc).  I just bounce around from task to task.

4 comments:

  1. This build doesnt want to boot properly on acer travelmate 3260. All previous builds work great. Seems to lock the entire system up once the system is booted. Video is garbled. Does work as VM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shawn. Can you detail some of the specs of your machine? RAM in particular. I have some other test machines and I will run it on those as well to see if I can replicate the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Processor Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73GHz
    Bus Speed 533MHz
    Cache 2MB L2
    Chipset Intel 945GM
    Memory Standard DDR2-533/PC2-4200

    Your lastest post is what the display looked like

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shawn. Ive altered the display resolution to 640x480 which solved the issue for me here locally. If you wouldnt mind, give it a try and let me know. Using the VESA modes is proving to be a little more work than I expected. 800x600 is definitely a nicer resolution, so I will continue to work on the problem, but it seems 640x480 should work for the moment and Im not willing to give up the border after having it :)

    Thanks again, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete